Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Changing all my sites to blogs

I spent the last day and a half converting 4 of my 120 .com's to blogs using blogger. I chose blogger for the simple reason that it is currently #8 on alexa.com's list of highest traffic blogs, well and that its owned by Google, my current "mentor". I just renovated part of my house to have a lovely sunroom addition (and sank any hope of getting out of debt in my life time with it...heh heh)
So I thought, why not do all the work in there? I have this excellent $300 laptop that is a bit small, but it works wonderfully with the wireless internet in here, so I just sat on the couch sipping coffee, listening to old jazz 78's, and went to work!

First one was this one of course, but I didnt have much content to put in it so it didnt take too long. I added a bunch of links to it today, and hope that all the cross linking I did will help increase my "google juice" without getting spammy. The thing thats kept crossing my mind is, what kind of person is going to sit an read all this nonsense? My private ramblings, poorly written and unedited? Certainly not somebody I would likely target as a client, I dont think anyway. They generally want the highlights. No, I think the kind of person reading all this will be the kind of person I wouldnt want to read it. My parents, mabey a friend who is a bit too snoopy, and possibly someone seeking some kind of dirt on me, or to steal my identity for their own evil purposes I guess.

So why do it? Well, my primary driver is, the very exercise is cathartic. Seeing my thoughts on "digital paper" solidifies them, makes them almost talk back to me, and gives me a personal sense of permanence. Reading this as I type it, its almost like Im being scrutinized by the external visual representation of my thoughts...ah but Im getting too close to a post for my personal philosophy blog, secondskeleton.com! So I'll leave that for now.

Secondary driver, posterity. I often think about what legacy I will leave behind and ways to make the most of this short life we all have. Im writing my thoughts down here, and in some ways, this my end up being all that's left. There's so much going on in my head that I really want to just get it out there so mabey others can use it some day...mabey even in 100, 1000, or 1000000 years!

All the blogging stuff then is ready, but its not done, Ive started something. Mabey just a beginning, but Im starting to write, and Im excited about that. Ive effectively removed all the technical barriers to writing and I feel suddenly free to just put it all down.

If you are still reading...thanks! I hope you can get something out of it. This is the beginning of a learning process for me, I've been at this for 10 years now and Im really doing my first blogs! Well, you cant be first at everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment