Sunday, April 12, 2009

My RSS Feed aggregator

Finally got my RSS feed aggregator working. Whats an rss feed aggregator? The little widget below reads a list of RSS feeds RSS from an XML file and displays the RSS feed news items from all the feeds in order of most recent to earliest. Theres a few of these out there, but mine is free for you to use, and has some interesting features. If you press the grey button underneath a specific feed name you toggle it on or off in the list. Pressing the red button makes the feed become "solo" or the only one in the list, and you can toggle that off and go back to your previous settings.







The "reset" button resets your filter feeds toggles as they are saved in the flash shared object "cookie" (to let your website visitors pick which blogs they want to keep up to date on and not have to keep resetting that)

You can popup the viewer here and see it resizes with whatever window you put it in. Working on adding custom colors/fonts etc.

I'll continue improving it, but for now you can view source and embed/tweak the above code to play around with it on your website if you want. Ive tested it with blogs from blogger, twitter feeds, and NING blog feeds. Known issues...turning off all the feed sources causes a weird display I need to fix, workaround is you just turn one back on. Also if you are on a slower connection try to let the feeds load before clicking buttons. I havent really built too much "idiot proofing" into this yet. This particular one is built in AS1, my next one will be in AS3 as I get time and guage the popularity of this app. Updates to come...Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I should add that if you looked at the list xml file you may have noticed a little php proxy in some of them. The proxy is required apparently because some servers wont just pass their XML directly to another website I suppose. Anyway my thanks to this person:
    http://silverlight.whatisreal.com/index.php
    for the script I took and copied into my site and got the xml loading properly into flash.

    also, if you cant get that XML to display, just right click on the link near the top of the blog post and go "save target as..." and then you can view the XML list to see how it works.

    ReplyDelete